Neill Riddell practices extensively in employment, commercial, and transportation law. As a litigator before federal and state courts and numerous agencies since 1977, he has wide experience in matters involving personal injury, tax, insurance, real estate and contracts, as well as wrongful discharge and discrimination disputes. Outside the litigation venue, Neill served many years as general counsel for one of the nation’s oldest, multi-state hotel chains.
Neill has represented transportation clients for over 40 years in varied matters before federal and state courts and agencies, ranging from personal injury and workers compensation defense for self-insured motor carriers to employment litigation of all types. He regularly counsels Firm transportation clients on safety compliance issues and is recognized for his representation of both carriers in overweight cases and drivers in matters threatening their CDLs.
A regularly featured speaker at Michigan Trucking Association functions, programs presented by Neill in recent years include:
- FLSA – Why Should We Care?
- Accommodating Drivers (Do I Have To?)
- Being An Unpaid Carrier In Tough Economic Times
- Complying With Hours Of Service Records Requirements In The Electronic Age
- Controlling Risk With Carrier Documents
- How To Collect Freight Charges (Without Breaking The Bank)
- Thinking About Driver Fatigue (Without More Talk About Hours Of Service)
- Truck Overweights: Defenses That Will Work (Well, Maybe)
- A Paper Pushers Guide To Risk Management – Identifying And Controlling Exposures (Without Leaving Your Desk)
- The Injured Driver: Issues Involving Employer Response To Driver Injury
- Worker Comp Reform – What It Means For Transportation
Neill served for several years as attorney and recording secretary for a joint state committee of employers and local unions operating pursuant to a master collective bargaining agreement. He has received national attention following successes before the U.S. Court of Appeals in litigation with the IRS relating to officer withholding-tax liability, as well as civil litigation benefiting the creditor status of the motor carrier industry.
Honors & Awards
- Named a Leading Lawyer by Law Bulletin Media since 2014 in Transportation Defense Law: Including Aviation/FELA/Maritime
- Named Michigan “Super Lawyers” by Law & Politics® for Transportation/Maritime Law (2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010)
- Inducted into the Riverview Hall of Fame in 2011 for his outstanding civic contributions to that community.
Community & Social Activities
- A lifelong resident of the Detroit area, Neill is active in community affairs. He played a key role in founding a youth recreation organization providing summer programs for over one thousand children in Detroit’s Downriver communities.